RESYST Working Paper 9: A longitudinal study of the job choices of privately and publicly trained nurses in Tamil Nadu
This study throws light on the expectations of nursing students trained in Tamil Nadu. What are their job-preferences, where would they like to work, and what motivates them to enter the nursing profession as a career?
- Irrespective of the type of training institution, nursing students would like to take up a public sector job.
- Female nurses show less preference to migrate outside Tamil Nadu state.
- Male nurses and those with a preference for a higher salary prefer to migrate outside Tamil Nadu and the country.
Given the high preference for Government jobs; low absorption of nurses in public and private health facilities (despite acute shortage) and the high migration outside the country, the relevant policy questions are:
- How should government respond to, regulate, encourage and guide the rapid growth in nurse training institutions in Tamil Nadu?
- What specific policy initiatives are necessary to enhance employment opportunities for nurses?
- To what extent are training institutions (public and private) over-producing for the current absorptive capacity of the labour market? Does this lead to unemployment or migration?
Health workforce Private sector India Nurses job choices