Writing for policymakers
The following resource was originally developed for a research uptake workshop held at the Kemri Wellcome Trust Research Programme, Kenya from 12–14 September 2017. The workshop covered the stages of developing a research uptake strategy, steps to writing a policy brief, an introduction to data visualisation and tips for using social media for research uptake.
A second workshop held in Bangkok with colleagues from the International Health Policy Program, led to the development of additional resources about developing a digital communications strategy, writing for the web and using photos.
With these tools you will:
- Learn how to develop key messages
- Be introduced to policy briefs: what, who and why?
- Explore what makes a good policy brief
- Plan a policy brief: audience, messages, problem, recommendations
- Write the outline of a policy brief
- Consider what format and design to use